yanovelties

YA Novelties

We're just four ordinary teenagers, Angie, Jenny, Rosie, and ~M, that have have nothing better to do than read.

The Goddess Test (Harlequin Teen)

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter 3.5 Stars! Check this review out on our blog!

really like the cover of this book. It doesn't look as cool above, but once you physically have the book, the details on the cover are stunning.

One of the reasons I wanted read this book was that I love Greek mythology. The Goddess Test puts it's own spin on the tale of Hades and Persephone. One thing that really surprised me about the book was that Hades(aka Henry) was a nice person. I always imagined the god of the Underworld to be mean and evil, partly because he is the god of the Underworld and partly because of the Disney movie, Hercules, which by the way was an excellent movie! Even though Henry was nice, he also annoyed me a lot because he was also sad, mopey, probably because he indirectly killed a bunch of girls trying to marry them, but still he was a giant black cloud in the whole entire book. Every time I read a Henry-part I would get sad because he pities himself so much and is mostly sulking.

Ok, so this scene was really funny, even though I don't think it was suppose to be funny. *I'm trying not to spoil anything, so this scene will be vaguely described, but if I do spoil a little bit, I'm SO SORRY! ahhh...* The scene with Ava and Kate at the tiny river in the beginning of the book, was, I think, suppose to be one of those "ahh omg this can't be happening!" kind of scene, but as I read it, I started to laugh...(This book is fiction, and not real, so it wasn't like I was laughing at death because death is NOT funny. It was just how this scene was described...)

At times, Kate was a boring character, but sometimes she was interesting. Kate always did what people told her to do, I don't know if it's because she had to take care of her mom for so long and was use to following directions, but this kind of bugged me about Kate.

The tests Kate was suppose to pass were seven tests on the Seven Deadly Sins, wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony. This idea was interesting, but the test in reality in the book, were kind of stupid. Also, why would Greek gods/goddess care about the Seven Deadly Sins?

Jenny @YA Novelties