yanovelties

YA Novelties

We're just four ordinary teenagers, Angie, Jenny, Rosie, and ~M, that have have nothing better to do than read.

Seraphina

Seraphina - Rachel Hartman 4.5 Stars! Check out this review on our blog!

Many of the YA dragon lore being published right now consists of dragons as a separate species from humans that are respected and are like ponies. I mean, hasn't anyone seen someone riding on the back of a dragon in the world of dragons, aka Eragon, How to Train Your Dragon and my personal favorite, Merlin, the BBC TV show. Those are besides the point, but they all have something in common; they don't give an in-depth tour of the strained relationships between humans and dragons. Seraphina shows both sides of the mutual unease between the two species, creating an original, fresh look of the dragons we all know and love.

Seraphina is a journey for a girl trying to find a place for her in the world. Secrets are holding her back from truly connecting to the world. As she discovers the secrets of the past that seem to be connected to the death of Prince Rufus, she has to choose whether to reveal her own secrets to those around her.

All of the characters vary in their desires and actions, but all have a similar trait; their perseverance. Each character has faced numerous hardships, and has managed ploughed through each one of them, even the antagonist. It is rather unimaginable for a book to possess only characters with strong personalities, but Seraphina pulls it off magically.

The romance is sweet, but somewhat lacking as well. Like most fantasies, the love evolving between the two protagonists is slow, yet steady. However, the romantic aspect in this book fluctuats quite often. One moments may consist of a moment between Seraphina and Prince Lucian, but pages later, their conversation seems unnatural and cold without reason. There are many instances in which the attitudes of the two flip on and off. It would make sense if the two protagonists were like Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, but Seraphina and Prince Lucian admire each other. Not to mention, the conversations between the two are extremely long and tedious, causing me to question the love the two supposedly had.

A majority of high fantasies are well-written and have fantastic plots. Seraphina is no exception to this generalization. With its powerful cast of characters, unique storyline and writing style, Serphina is a read like no other. I will guarantee to all that Seraphina will not disappoint.

Angie @YA Novelties