yanovelties

YA Novelties

We're just four ordinary teenagers, Angie, Jenny, Rosie, and ~M, that have have nothing better to do than read.

Illuminate: A Gilded Wings Novel, Book One

Illuminate - Aimee Agresti Check out this review on our blog!

My thought process behind deciding to read this book: Soul stealing, huh. I think I'll read this.

Illuminate opens with Haven, and explains what her life is currently like and how she came to be where she is. Haven is a nerdy, shy girl who has no social life and only one friend. Although she may be a cliche, I think that many people can relate to her in that they are also smart and work hard to get into a good college. Haven is nice, but my favorite character is definitely Lance. He started out shy and quiet, but he evolves into someone else while creating new friendships, and really steals the scene at the end.

When they start working at the hotel, I love the lush descriptions that really bring the hotel to life. I can picture everything, from the opulent and grand building itself, the stunningly perfect employees, to the dark and electrifying club. It is seen through Haven's eyes, and really shows all of the glitz and glamor.

Eventually though, I noticed how slow the plot moved. It became slightly boring, especially since we find out all of the secrets bit by bit, in a slow and leisurely manner, which isn't very exciting. It was interesting, but not exciting, I was just waiting to learn the good stuff.

Generally I quite liked the plot, but there were some questions that were left hanging. For instance, what happened in Haven's childhood, how was she abandoned and what happened to her before that? Also, what are her actual abilities besides soul seeing, can she do anything else? The reason why I'm not very annoyed about it is because I expect to learn more in the continuing books.

Overall, Illuminate had wonderful writing and beautiful scenery. I didn't love it, but I definitely liked it, and will continue on with the series.

M @YA Novelties