yanovelties

YA Novelties

We're just four ordinary teenagers, Angie, Jenny, Rosie, and ~M, that have have nothing better to do than read.

Team Human

Team Human - Sarah Rees Brennan, Justine Larbalestier 3.5 Stars! Check out this review on our blog!

Hmmm...what can I say about this book? It's not amazing, but it's not boring either. Personally, I felt a bit irritated with some of the characters in this story, but that's just me. I was really only annoyed at the side characters. I liked the main character--Mel.

An American-born-Chinese, which is really not a heroine you see so much these days, she speaks her mind and kicks-ass when neccessary. I liked her because she's waay different than most heroines in vamp books. What I mean is--she isn't moony-eyed over a sparkly vampire *cough* *cough* Bella. In fact, Mel HATES vampires. A YA heroine that hates vamps in this day and age? Why wouldn't I pick this up!?! Also, I loved Kit! He is DEFINITELY waaaay better than stick-up-the-ass-Francis.

The only two characters that I really couldn't stand were Cathy and, you guessed it, kill-joy-Francis. It's really just a personal tick of mine--I don't really mix well with people of their personalities. I suppose I'm similar to Mel? Dunno, but yeah. That's just me. In the end, I wasn't so pissed, especially once I reached the resolution.

The plot was definitely different, but it still wasn't totally original. I felt a bit of déjà vu and been-there-done-that feeling from reading this story. Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty good. It's like one of those stories that you can predict the ending, but you still like it anyway because of the main character. Honestly, there were a few times in this story where I could set it down and stop reading it and still be satisfied. That's why I give it 3.5 stars. Above average, nice caracters, pretty good plot, yet lacks the addictive juice and thrill of a 5 star.

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes, or hates vampires. (If you hate 'em, you'll love Mel.) I'd also recommend this one to people who enjoy reading realistic fantasy books. Other than the fact that there were vamps mixed into society, this reality wasn't all that different from ours. Also, one more thing. Get ready for some friends, fun, and vampy romance.

(Yeah yeah yeah, I know, the ending of that review sucked, but whatever. Have some great reads, kiddies, and see YA (ha, ha, get it?) next week!)

Rosie @YA Novelties